Monday, November 9, 2009

Where the Hill Climbers Are...

So far I have only shown my life out and about in DC. While I do go out and explore my new surroundings, I also spend time in my apartment building. I've never lived in an apartment before so getting used to four other roommates has been interesting but also rewarding. I am spoiled to live with good people so I thought I would share with you some glimpse of my life when I'm not out meeting the Dalai Lama...

I actually got a brief snapshot of my apartment when no one is in it. The living room is where my apartmentmates and many guests hang out. Our apartment struggles to find a happy temperature to appease everyone in the room. We are constantly living in either a tropical paradise or ice igloo. I may be fine in shorts in the photo above but my poor roommate below is freezing in her blanket.Our small kitchen is somewhat unique, particularly the stove. Three of the burners are almost completely useless. I have been known to turn on all four of the burners and wait in anticipation to see which, if any, will heat up. However, all the burners are lopsided; meaning if anyone wants to cook anything you will be standing there holding your ghetto blackened pot while your Hamburger Helper simmers.
The heat controls are actually located on the microwave above the stove which leads us to believe this might be the first stove/microwave unit ever invented. Our microwave also has a metal rack in it thus it's not really a microwave at all...Luckily our silly little kitchen does not stop people from visiting or even prevent amazing desserts from being created.New favorite thing to do? Jam sessions. Oh and for those who are curious, our bedrooms are just as nice too...except they're a little bare. That's the thing that no one tells you about living abroad for a semester. You may get a nice apartment, but at the end of the day you're still gonna have blank white walls staring at you--reminding you of your lack of insight to pack anything that would take away from the blinding glare of egg shell beige. But with airport weight limits, who has the room?




One of the spacious closets... also in egg shell beige...


Still want more of where I live? No worries. My gal and roommate Angela made this awesome video for the program we're in (Washington Journalism Center). It shows not only the apartment but the apartment building and other areas I hang out. The video also highlights where the apartment is located and what's available to the students here. Oh, and I may have a small but important role in this as well...

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog post! Glad someone is documenting... I need to start taking pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimi,

    This is BRILLIANT!!! Love this post, love this glimpse of your life 'behind the scenes.' :) It really gives us a great feel for what you're experiencing as a student studying 'in a different place.' Love the video too!

    To Recap: Brilliant, love, love, love! ;) Yay for you.

    ReplyDelete