Saturday, November 14, 2009

Didn't really plan that one...


They say pride always comes before the fall...sometimes even in the fall of a shoe.


Earlier I wrote about the importance of wearing the right shoe for any and every occasion. While I do try to wear the best shoe to compliment the event and my legs, sometimes one can not always know which shoe will be appropriate...let me explain.


I do not claim to be a California girl but I have adopted the west coast acceptance of wearing flip flops for all twelve months of the year. I knew living in DC would probably limit my time in open-toed footwear but I was optimistic I would last at least till November. Yet November has proved to be mixed with rain and sunshine thus giving me a false sense of security that I could wear my beloved Rainbows till Thanksgiving. I even went out in the rain one day in my precious foot wear to the local 7/11 just to spite the rain and convention.


Yet all good things must come to an end, some more suddenly than others. The sunshine spilling into my apartment inspired me to bust out the Rainbows and go to Target this afternoon. My roommates who went with me laughed on our to the metro how fortunate we were to be in a place where it was still warm enough to wear short sleeves and sandals. But oh how we should have taken more care!! Stepping off the metro I didn't even see how close Angela stepping behind me. In one brief step on my shoe, my leather sandal flew off my foot and went bump....bump...bump...plop.


Yes that's right folks, my shoe fell down into the metro rail tracks, leaving me speechless. Nobody prepares you for when your shoe falls into the metrorail. It's about four feet down from the platform and you are not going down there but what do you do? I didn't have a shoe for goodness sakes. The metro personal were not friendly nor at all sympathetic, my friends did not pack an extra sandal in their purses and the nearest store was outside. Whats a girl to do?


I ended up transferring and riding the rest of the metro trip to Target as planned. I did it with one shoe and one humiliated complexion. I walked barefoot across the street to the nearest Payless and bought the first pair of flats in the shortest amount of time ever.


This was definitely not one of the more glamorous moments I have had in DC but at the same time it was hilarious. How many people do you know lose personal belongings on a metro platform while going to Target? It was a first for me. While I'm saddened by my small silly loss, I love the story.

1 comment:

  1. Haha... on our way to the game we saw your flip flop in the tracks. Jordan wanted to get it but all of us were scared of him jumping in there!

    ReplyDelete