Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Serious Ponderings

I follow my study abroad bloggers from my school and I have to admit: Today I had a massive wake up call. Unlike my international-bound friends, I live in a city centered around the current U.S. unemployment crisis. As a journalism student, I have been aware that journalism is still changing to adapt to a new era of news media consumption. However, you would have to be a hermit to know that in the change, traditional journalism jobs are beginning to dwindle at a quickening pace.

I think studying in a different part of my country has made me more aware of a life after college than if I went to study in Europe or South America. Let's pretend I went to Spain this fall. I would have the time of my life, take great pictures, fall in love with the country (and perhaps someone) but I wouldn't realistically believe I would move there after college. Living in DC has given me a taste of a life I could practically and most likely lead after college. That fact thrills me and scares me at the same time.

They call my generation the "lost generation". Meaning the college graduates of my generation now face worse economic possibilities than the generation of my parents. This has never happened before since the Depression. Also, the unemployment rate is now at 10.2% while the rate for minorities and women are much higher than that figure.

This post is not meant to be depressing but a reality check. Studying in DC has allowed me to not only meet some dear friends but also prepare me for some of the harsh realities I will have to face after commencement in 2011.

One day I will use the people I work with as references and put my experience here on a resume. I wonder if I had gone to Ireland or Italy if I would have this opportunity. I admit I am not living half as glamorously as my friends in Europe this semester but at the same time, I know a little more about what I want after college and my employment appeal has boosted itself a couple notches. If you, reader, ever have to choose about to study domestically or internationally I do not recommend one over the other. I know that everyone is different but for me, DC was the only choice for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment